Last revised: April 14, 2020
- SEMrush, Inc. is the data controller of your personal information.
- We collect the personal information, including account registration details such as name and email, and information about your use of our site and Service.
- We use your personal information for the purposes set out in the "How we use the information" section of this Privacy below, including providing our website and Service to you, ensuring the security and performance of our website, direct marketing, and performing statistical analysis of the use of our website and Service.
- You have a number of rights that you can exercise in relation to our use of your personal information.
Purpose and who we are
Except as explicitly provided herein, this Policy applies to your use of our website (the "Website"), and to
offered by SEMrush. Your use of our Website is also governed by the Conference Terms and Conditions
available for review
please read it carefully to understand how we handle your information.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are two general categories of information we collect.
1.1 Information provided directly by your
We collect personal data that you provide us when you register for an account, update or change information for your account, purchase Service, complete a survey, sign-up for email updates, send us email messages, and/or participate in other services on our Website. We may use your personal data that you provide to respond to your questions, provide you the specific services you select, send you updates about our events, services as well as send you email messages about possible Website maintenance and/or updates.
Account Registration. If you register for an account on our Website, you may be required to provide us with personal information such as your name and email address.
Updates. SEMrush may offer you the ability to receive updates either via email or by posting on portions of the Website only accessible to registered users. In order to subscribe to these services, you may be required to provide us with personal information such as your name and email address.
Communication with SEMrush. Information contained in communications you send to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns or comments regarding the Website (or its content) or the Services. We collect Personal Data that you voluntarily give us when you contact us with inquiries, engage with our chat bot on the Site, respond to one of our surveys, contact our customer support regarding a problem you are experiencing with the Services.
Testimonials. We collect and display personal testimonials of satisfied Customers and users on the Services in addition to other endorsements. With your consent, we may post your testimonial along with your name, on the Services. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at email@example.com.
Information our partners, speakers provide us. If you use our Website to participate in our webinars, online conferences as our partner or speaker, we can ask you to provide us with some information (such as your name, job title, your photo, your country or other information). By posting or by providing us the right to post any information on our website you acknowledge and agree that the data you publish or provide us for publishing on our Website or any time later creates your public profile (hereinafter "Public Profile"). You acknowledge and agree that the information that you provide in your Public Profile would be visible to the others.
1.2. Information relating to your use of our Website.
2. HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use, store, and process information, including personal information, about you to provide, improve, and develop the Services, create and maintain a trusted and safer environment, comply with our legal obligations and otherwise as can be specified herein.
2.1. To provide, improve, and develop the Services
- Enable you to access and use the Services.
- Operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Services and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research. Subject to our contract with you we process this information either manually or by computer.
- Provide customer service: to resolve technical issues you meet, to respond to your requests for assistance, and to repair and improve the Services.
- Send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
- If you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may process this information: (i) for fraud detection and prevention, and (ii) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in improving the Services, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
2.2. To create and maintain a trusted and safer environment
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes and enforce our agreements with third parties.
- Enforce our Conference Terms and Conditions and other policies.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in protecting the Services, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
2.3. To provide, personalize, and improve our advertising and marketing
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be interested to you based on your preferences (including information about SEMrush campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms.
- Personalize, measure, and improve our advertising.
- For marketing activities performed by our partners, provided that you gave us relevant consent.
We will process your personal information for the purposes listed in this section given our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest. You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by sending us an opt-out request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. SHARING & DISCLOSURE
This section describes the subset of Personal Information we share with partners, customers, and service providers, or for legal, corporate, or compliance purposes.
Unless SEMrush has your permission or is required to do so by applicable law, SEMrush will not sell, rent, lease or otherwise provide your personal data to others, except in order to provide you with the products and services you request and as further described below.
SEMrush may share the personal data you provide with other SEMrush entities and/or service providers or contractors who may be used to provide technical support, handle order processing, or otherwise act on our behalf for the purpose of providing services, to comply with legal obligations and in connection with business transactions.
Service Providers: We may engage other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf - meaning they are helping us provide our Services. For example, we use third party providers of payment processing, background checking, fraud prevention, and risk assessment, hosting and other information technology services, email communication and customer support services, analytics, marketing, and advertising. Following our instructions, these parties may process your personal data in the course of providing the relevant services to us.
Group of companies: We may share your data with other SEMrush entities for administrative purposes; for providing our Services; and in relation to our sales and marketing activities. For example, if you are requesting information about a company or a service from a SEMrush company, then we may pass your personal data onto another SEMrush company to enable them to appropriately respond to your request.
Social networking websites: Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal data about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social network websites, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote our products or Services.. The social network websites with which we may share your personal data are not controlled or supervised by us. Therefore, any questions regarding how your social network websites service provider processes your personal data should be directed to such provider
Business Transfers: If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of all or a portion of our assets, or transition of a service to another provider, your personal data and other information may be transferred to a successor or affiliate as part of that transaction.
Legal Requirements: SEMrush may disclose your information, including personal information, to courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with legal process, (iii) to respond to verified requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iv) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of SEMrush, its employees, or members of the public.
Where appropriate, we may notify you about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon SEMrush’s property, its users and the Services. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify you about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
4. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
4.1. Analyzing your communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Services for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
These activities are carried out based on our legitimate interest in ensuring compliance with applicable laws and our Conference Terms and Conditions, preventing fraud, promoting safety, and improving and ensuring the adequate performance of the Services.
4.2. Google Analytics and Google Adwords
5. YOUR RIGHTS
You may exercise any of the rights described in this section by sending an email to email@example.com. Please notethat we may ask you to verify your
identity before taking further action on your request.
As the data subject, you have:
- the right of access (Art 15 GDPR). If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, provide you with a copy of the Personal Data along with certain other details.
- the right to rectification (Art 16 GDPR). If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to ask that we correct or complete it. If we shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the correction where possible.
- the right to erasure (Art 17 GDPR). You may ask us to erase your Personal Data in some circumstances, such as where we no longer need it or you withdraw your consent. If we shared your data with others, we will alert them to the need for erasure where possible.
- the right to restriction of processing (Art 18 GDPR). You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of the data or object to us processing it (please read below for information on your right to object). We will tell you before we lift any restriction on processing. If we shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible.
- the right to data portability (Art 20 GDPR). You have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that was provided to us as necessary in connection with our contract with you, and that we processed with automated means. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
- the right to object (Art 21 GDPR). You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and
we will do so:
- if we are relying on a legitimate interest to process your Personal Data – unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing; or
- if we are processing your Personal Data for direct marketing.
- the right to withdraw consent (Art 7 (3) GDRP). If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time, but this will not affect any processing of your data that has already taken place.
the right to make a complaint with the data protection authority. If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorized to hear those concerns.
6. DATA RETENTION
We retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to provide the Services and fulfil the
have requested, complying with our legal obligations or for other legitimate business purposes, such as
business and financial records, resolving disputes, maintaining security, detecting and preventing fraud and
enforcing our agreements.
After the applicable retention period has elapsed, your personal data will be anonymized.
7. WE OPERATE GLOBALLY
SEMrush is a global business. To offer our services, we may need to transfer your personal information among several countries. We comply with applicable legal requirements providing adequate safeguards for the transfer of personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA") or Switzerland.
The personal data may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the EEA. It may also be
processed by staff
operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers.
Where we transfer, store, and process your personal information outside of the EEA we have ensured that appropriate safeguards are in place to ensure an adequate level of data protection.
Prior to sharing your information with corporate affiliates or third party service providers outside the EEA we establish all the necessary means to ensure an adequate level of data protection.
If you know or suspect that your personal data have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your SEMrush account, please immediately contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. OUR POLICY TOWARDS CHILDREN
The Services are not directed to individuals under 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact our support services.
11. CONTACT US
Personal Data Processing Purposes and Details
Subject matter of processing: SEMrush’s provision of the Services and related technical support to User.
Duration of Processing: Personal Data will be Processed for the period, commencing on the day you start using the Services and remains in full force and effect so long as:
- the Conference Terms and Conditions remains in effect, or
- SEMrush retains any Personal Data related to the Conference Terms and Conditions in its possession or control (Term).
Nature of Processing: SEMrush will process User personal data submitted, stored, sent or received by User via the Services for the purposes of providing the Services and related SEMrush technical support and in marketing purposes, provided that User give us relevant consent.
Data Subject Types: Personal data submitted, stored, sent or received via the Services may concern the following categories of data subjects: end users including User’s employees; partners, speakers and any other person who transmits data via the Services.
- SEMRUSH CY LTD
- Semrush Inc.
- SEMRUSH RU LTD
- SEMRUSH SM LTD
- Semrush CZ s.r.o.
- OWOX Limited
- Salesforce.com EMEA Limited
- Salesforce.com Inc.
- Mindbox Cloud B.V.
- Unbounce Germany GmbH
- Zapier Inc.
- Zoom Video Communications Inc.
- Nimble Inc.
- Google Inc.
- Microsoft Online Inc.
- Taboola Inc.
- Taboola Europe Limited
- Outbrain Inc.
- Facebook Inc.
- Facebook Ireland limited
- LinkedIn Ireland Unlimited
- Twitter Inc.
Semrush partners: listed on the Website.
Each partner warrants that it will receive all necessary consents and permissions to process personal data information as can be required by applicable law. Each partner warrants that it will collect the personal data in accordance with all applicable laws and will implement adequate technical and organizational security measures with regard to personal data.
SEMrush and SEMrush Affiliates may engage third party suppliers to provide other services such as facilities management, maintenance and security services from time to time.